It is probably one of the most common and most requested in search engines errors of Windows 10. It has a code 0x80070422, and it is directly related to the Windows 10 firewall. The 0x80070422 error occurs after disabling services required for the firewall to do its job and when cannot access firewall functions properly. In this short guide, we will explain two easy methods detailing how to fix the 0x80070422 error.
Method #1: fix the 0x80070422 error by changing Services settings
- Right-click on the Start Button and select Run (or press Win+R on your keyboard).
- Type services.msc in the window to appear. Press “OK.”
- In the Services menu look for the “Windows Update.” Right-click it and select “Properties.”
- In the General tab find Startup Type section and switch it to “Automatic.”
- Close all windows and reboot your computer.
- If previous steps didn’t help with the problem, repeat first two steps and look for “Windows Firewall” instead. Make sure it has an automatic startup type.
- Restart your system.
Method #2: Scan your computer for viruses and malicious software
The previous method is a very effective solution for the 0x80070422 error, but if it comes back after a short time, it is highly likely that your computer is infected with viruses or malware that causes the error. Malware is often created to block or shut down Windows Firewall functions and its supporting services, which end with the error we’re talking about. To solve the problem, we recommend you to install an advanced antivirus or antimalware tools such as Dr. Web CureIt, Kaspersky, Plumbytes Antimalware, and others. After scanning, you should complete steps from the first method.
We decided to run a virus scan with Dr. Web CureIt for this guide. It takes only a few moments:
- Download the utility from the official website (it is free for home use).
- Run the installer, accept their license terms, and click “Continue.”
- Click “Start Scanning.”
- When the scan is complete, you will see a list of potential threats on your computer. You will need to check them and delete.
The error code 0x80070422 has many “symptoms” such as blocked windows, performance drops, errors during updates and software installations. When something like that happens on your PC, you should not ignore warnings and deal with errors in time.